Pages

Friday, February 10

A New Era!

Yesterday it was decided that the washer was finally homeward bound to the great washing machine heaven! Whilst Jon can fix and make parts where necessary it was beyond any of his divine intervention. For the past few months I had noticed a slow yet marked decline in the overall performance of the machine - ofcourse I put it down to various factors - washing powder, nature of stains etc but at the end of the day I knew it was the washer. Funny it seems - when Jon is really busy at work I wonder what is going to go wrong - because something always does..........and only a few days ago I thought that the washer had not conked out for a while.........so yesterday morning when I got up I noticed not only had the washer stopped the clothes were grubby, the spin programme had not worked and the washing powder was still in the dispenser. Each of these signs indicated a different fault........so when Jon came home and assessed the situation it was decided we needed a new washer.
In the 23.5 years we have been married we have had 2 washers - washer/dryers to be precise. Our first one was a wedding present from Jon's parents. Our house then was a small modern detached house and we both worked, hence the decision to go for a washer/dryer. Should we need a dryer we had one. I rarely used it. This lasted us for about 14 years - Jon rebuilding motors, making new parts etc etc. When we replaced it - we went for another Hotpoint. Jon knew his way round Hotpoints, infact at the time he was making the moulds for the Hotpoint washer seal and extrusuin hoses. Again we went for a washer/dryer and yet again I hardly used the dryer.
We went to our local Curry's and assumed we would just buy a similar replacement. A Hotpoint Washer/dryer would be £349 or £399. There were none in stock so we would have to wait a week. No immediate problem - I am blessed with great neighbours and indeed yesterday shortly after a statement on Facebook one neighbour rang and offered me the use of her washer! However we had decided we wanted to bring a washer home with us - handy you see having a white van! Some models were available to take home - so this allowed us time to think. Strangely both Jon and I announced at the same time "Do we need a washer/dryer?" We have an airing cupboard and I am a great one for drying clothes in the kitchen when the Rayburn is still giving out heat - as are the radiators. The house is a warm house and I dry clothes overnight. The Rayburn has 2 radiators it heats up as an overspill when the central heating pump is switched off - our bedroom and the bathroom. This means they are always hot - ideal for drying clothes....so we decided to go for a washer. When the sales assistant was talking us through the various programmes available I told him I didn't need 14 programmes - 3 or 4 would be sufficient. By this time we weren't bothered about the brand either......so we went for this one, the cheapest in the shop for £169.

Essentials C510WM11 Washing Machine gives you great cleaning performance that's amazing value for money.
With a capacity of up to 5kg per load, the C510WM11 can handle your everyday washing with ease, even featuring a variable temperature and special setting for wool items to keep your clothes in the best possible condition. Rated "A" for energy consumption and wash performance, this machine may not use much electricity but it's certainly able to deliver powerful cleaning results!
The Essentials C510WM11 Washing Machine focuses on delivering exactly what you need—good, reliable washing that leaves your clothes looking good as new. For the price, this is very hard to beat!

Just sounds the job! We brought it home and Jon plumbed it in straight away - my first load was in a few minutes later! So easy to use - a result I would say!





17 comments:

  1. Great news! We had a dryer in this house when we bought it. It was totally inadequate. Would dry like 4 shirts per cycle; more than that would require another go. One of our first purchases was a new one; life is MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed with a husband who does not wear shirts for work Roger! having said that - I have some shirts to iron for a wedding we are attending tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for washing machines! My experience is that a washing machine is much better on its own, never had much success with a washer dryer - great price as well! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grace - there was always an issue with the load capacity for the washing cycle and the drying cycle. Am sure matters will be so much better now.

      Delete
  3. Two machines in 23 years is good going. Ours last between five and ten years . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be shocked if it lasted as long as the others, as I find appliances made nowadays are not as good a quality as they were years ago.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to buy a washing machine last year as the one I inherited from a family member gave up eventually after clunking and clonking for ages and eventually would not work. It was around 40 years old and worked very well for most of that time. The choice out there is mind blowing and as you say who needs all those extras, I certainly didn't anyway. So far so good with my new one. Good luck with yours. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LLucky you - practical husbands are worth their weight in gold aren't they? Our Aga has gone off. It has been playing up since Christmas and the engineer has finally found the fault - it is the flow valve. He has ordered a new one and it will not be here until Wednesday - so cold until then with Microwave meals. Lucky the central heating and wood burner are both going great guns so we shall not starve in either sense of the word. No snow here but bitterly cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were looking for a 'no bells and whistles' machine we couldn't find one..so we have a machine whose instruction booklet rivals the phone book in size.....I only ever usse the same few programs/programmes.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our washing machine is nearly 15 years old and I am wondering how much longer it will last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got a reasonably cheap one too - I use just 3 programmes, it's lasted several years so far. I've never had a tumble dryer.
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs N, you made me very homesick with your banner...I'm a Swaledale lass a long way from home,

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a result!
    we too had a washer/dryer in our first home, and rarely used the dryer. We were told that it was inefficient too, so definitely avoided it unless absolutely necessary.
    Then we bought a washer, and got a very small dryer that sits on top and takes up very little space. Now we have school uniforms to contend with, we do use the dryer a bit, maybe an hour a week, but I'd never buy a washer/dryer again.
    You're very lucky that Jon is so handy around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My washer/dryer packed in last week too. I think it didn't like being shuffled round to fit into the new kitchen. The engineer was called out (the second time since we had the machine). He sorted out the problem and in passing told us that the date of manufacture was 2009. Where did all that time go??

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, Denise, I don't think many Americans even know what an airing cupboard is. I haven't seen one since we came over here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great choice! My eldest was telling me his house share of nine has two washing/drier's - but that sometimes it takes all day for him to wash his load. "Why?" I asked. "'Cos sometimes the door won't open until I do the wash all over. I did four cycles of my boxers on Saturday.." Apparently they never thought to save the instuction booklet (shaking my head)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had 2 washer/dryers and hardly ever used the dryer. I hope you like your new washer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.