Pages

Wednesday, January 4

Back on Track!




Tonight it will be time  to go to my Slimming World meeting, or as we inmates refer to it "Fat Club!" Last week I gained 2 lb which taking Christmas into account was not too bad. This week I expect another gain but how much I have no idea.....you see it was not my fault!

Although we can travel a few miles to Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys our nearest supermarket is the Co-operative, referred to as "The Co-op!" Whilst the availability of certain foods is sparse and limited, on the whole it is a handy store. I rate the animal welfare standards it promotes as well as ethical practises - so whilst I could shop cheaper -  compromises have to be called for. It is only a couple of miles from the village ....fuel consumption is a big factor too.

Each day at around 5.30pm a decent selection of foods are reduced due to sell-by dates. A couple of people spend the afternoon in the pub then go into the Co-op and stand over the assistants as the food is reduced. I know these  people from my time spent in teaching. I do not support their idea of a lifestyle - pub and  children do not go together well in my eyes, especially during school hours!!!

On New Year's Eve I was shopping, it was about 3.30pm. I know many of the shop assistants well and have a good rapour with them, so when one of them called me over  keen to tell me she was reducing prices - early as it was New Year's Eve and I could have first refusal, before "that chap" came in!.....well what a time I had - and surely it would have been rude not to. We love cheese - Brie 29p......individual mince pies, pack of 12...29p. Litre of double cream...19p.... to name but a few!

So...........there you have it. We have had a couple of indulgent occasions since and now the hour of reckoning is approaching!

Watch this space!

22 comments:

  1. That's a good tip! We have a co-op in the village and although I do my weekly shop at Sainsburys(more choice) it's handy for essentials.Yesterday at Sains I picked up a couple of boxes of Ferrero Rondnoir for 86p each and a big box of biscuits greatly reduced.

    Happy New Year to you! 0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're entitled to a little indulgence over the festive season!! You'll get back on track soon.
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, you're so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it would have been foolish to pass on such bargains wouldn't it? (wink)

    Hope the weigh-in goes better than you're thinking. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with all of that...temptation, hie thee away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hereby recommend salad for a fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment on my blog Denise about migraines. I stopped eating chocolate for a few months but didnt notice a difference, I still got the migraines! I think stress plays a big part with me and the tablets are working they are just making me fat also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little indulgence is healthy - and being kind to your purse is good, too:-)This reminded me of the Gracie Fields song . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brie...the magic word! Well, who could resist?
    Good luck with the fat club. I'm too fat to go to Fat Club.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the feeling only too well! I attend a slimming class on a Wednesday - after a 2 week break I am really not looking forward to jumping on the scales again next Wed. Good luck for your weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My day of reconning is tomorrow, I haven't been since before Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those offers are really good, aren't they? We have a Co-op nearby and a small Sainsbury and a little Tesco but there is a bigger one within walking distance. You just need to be in the right place at the right time to get the bargains.Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck at fat club Mrs N - we're all allowed a bit of indulgence at Christmas surely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear I gained four pounds since Thanksgiving. Which isn't an enormous amount, but it's enough to make me determined to get back to my short walks. I think the sooner you work at removing the extra weight the less chance it has to settle in. Just a theory:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think anyone in their right mind would totally understand the situation...brie at 29p!!! well you just HAD to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! It's almost impossible to pass up a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Same here, nearest store is the Co-op! it's more of a convenient store and a complete rip off! On a serious note, it's actually quite unfair because as we live in a touristy area, the prices are high which means locals have to pay high prices too, even though we have to travel at least 20 miles to our nearest supermarket.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I buy the majority of our meat from the Co-op as like you I think they have good welfare standards. Most of my buys are when they reduce it too! We have 4 Co-ops within walking distance and I am trying to use them more and more. With my divi card!
    Happy new year.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, we have those people here, too! LOL!

    I like the Co-op for the same reasons as you, and we were so cross when the local one closed and became a Tesco! I have come to hate Tesco, and they hardly ever have any 'happy' chicken, or dry cure outdoor reared bacon etc. I usually prefer to drive a mile or two further and go to the Co-op, since it is only a mile or two... but it is a small one and as you say, the stock isn't as good.

    Those mini pork pies though. I should rap your knuckles for those. How could you??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i too love the fact that the co-op look after their animals, so we can all have lovely meat to eat, and yes depending on what time you go in you can pick up a bargain but i must hold my hands up and say iam an employee. But like some of you have said yes they arent always the cheapest when you have a family of 5 to feed even if i do get 10% off x I love the fact though that you are all trying to shop more local x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for calling by my blog. All the best for 2012! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  21. My nearest store is Tesco, then Morrisons and Waitrose. I have wondered about using the Co-Op though because they are meant to be good with Fair Trade food.

    I've put on way too much weight over Christmas, a lot more than 2 pounds, so I should join you in the "Fat Club!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing wrong with indulgence once in a while!!
    I have to get back on track too.
    I do get tired of the constant struggle though.
    Anywhooooo
    Happy to see you are back at it and wishing you success this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.